While doing research recently I kept coming across job postings for different Social Media positions with larger companies. In between the lines a couple things got my attention.
- Why does a Social Media person need to be in a Corporate office?
- Are we already painting ourselves into a corner with the term Social Media?
- When will Social Media intersect with the local presence of a company?
- I guess this could go both ways. Being in the office the person would know what was going on and have access to more information. On the other hand, if this is a large company with lots of locations, the corporate information might not be in tune with the local store (see #3 below).
- Social Media seems to already bring to mind certain Internet locations, such as FaceBook, MySpace, Twitter etc… Some companies are using the term Emerging Media and that seems to elicite a broader and continually growing area.
- Not sure exactly what I am thinking here, but I know what I read, see and hear online does not always match up very well in my local store. And the locals seem to be almost unaware that there is even an online presence that represents them.
And none of this even starts to scratch the surface of how smaller companies could take advantage of Social Emerging Media to help themselves.